Double, Double Toil and Trouble; Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether ’tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
The Slings and Arrows of outrageous Fortune,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them: to die, to sleep
No more.  ~Hamlet

I, like Ms. Tyron, had the opportunity to catch this past Sunday’s 60 Minutes.  And I have to say that I wholeheartedly concur that the segment “Imminent Danger” was really quite compelling.  Sadly though, I did not find it altogether surprising.  Since the mid-1970’s, the rates of incarceration have increased exponentially.  Unfortunately, these numbers have greatly increased, in part, due to the increased prevalence of mental disease among various segments of the population.  One thing that definitely stands out in my mind is the fact that many of these prisons operate under the presupposition that most of the inmates will, or cannot, be rehabilitated.  The emphasis of these institutions seems to be on punishment and routine as opposed to rehabilitation.  Not unlike what it was like in the Asylums in mid nineteenth century.  This is something that I feel best illustrates the meaning of that thing we Historians like to call resonance.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57605146/untreated-mental-illness-an-imminent-danger/